The best iPhone App of the Year 2015 is… Periscope!
Via a software programme called Genymotion it is now possible to run Periscope on your computer! Not just watching scopes (this was already possible), but also commenting in scopes and giving hearts. The Periscope experience from your phone, now on your computer! It even makes it possible for you to comment in your own scopes, without needing an extra phone or tablet. And: it’s free!
How to install Genymotion to use Periscope on your laptop
- Go to www.genymotion.com
- Click on Sign In at the top right of the page:
3. Choose a username or e-mail address to sign up with. Also choose a password. Click Create Account.
4. Check your e-mail to find the confirmation e-mail. Click on the confirmation link:
5. You will now see this happy page. Click on Continue:
6. Scroll down quite a bit, until you see the following. Click on the link below the 3 options on “download it here” to sign up for the free option. Beware: this free option only allows you to use Genymotion for personal use.
7. You will now see this:
8. You now get to chose your platform. I work on a Mac, so the following will show what to do on a Mac computer. If you work on another platform, just follow the instructions, and you should be able to get it to work.
9. On the right side, click on “Get Genymotion” to download the programme. Click on the .dmg file and move it to the Applications folder in your laptop.
10. In the Applications folder click on Genymotion to start the programme.
BEWARE: you might get a warning about VirtualBox. In that case you will need to click OK to leave Genymotion for now. You will need to install Oracle’s VirtualBox first. Steps 11 and further of the general installation of Genymotion can be found below these extra instructions.
- You can download VirtualBox here.
- After clicking on the .dmg file you will see the following:
- Double click on the cardboard box. You will then see the screen below.
- Click Continue on the pop-up and Continue at the bottom of the screen, until you see the following:
- VirtualBox can now be found in the Applications folder on your laptop.
Using Genymotion on your laptop for the first time
11. Go to the Applications folder on your laptop and click on Genymotion to start the programme. You will see the following. Click Accept.
12. You will now see this notification. Click on Yes.
13. You will need to sign in to be able to add a device. This is what you want to do, so click Sign in:
14. Type in your Genymotion Username and Password (the ones you used when singing up at the Genymotion website). Click “Sign in”:
15. You will then see the following. You can type the device of your choice in the search field (top right) or scroll down until you find it. In the next step I’ll show you the device I chose for this example.
16. I chose the Google Nexus 7 Android – 5.1.0. Click on it to select it and then click “Next” at the bottom right:
17. Genymotion will now start to retrieve and deploy your new virtual device. You will see a screen similar to this one (the ‘picture’ bit will change every now and then). At the bottom there’s a progress bar. It will take quite some time (minutes) until the bar reaches 100%!
18. If the progress bar reaches 100% click “Finish” at the bottom right:
19. You will now see this screen, including the device that you’ve created:
Downloading Periscope to the virtual device
20. Click on the Start icon to start the device. It might take some time to start up. You will now see this in a pop up screen. What you see now is basically a Google Nexus 7 that you can use from your computer.
21. Click “Got it” in the green box.
22. Click on the blue globe (the icon at the right) at the bottom of the screen to start the webbrowser:
24. Click on one of the results. I clicked on the first result after the one that is the Periscope app itself.
25. In the screen you will now see, scroll down a bit (this is a bit tricky in the phone screen, it helps to go slow) until you see this. Click on “Download APK from secure Server”:
26. Click on the little cross at the top to close the browser:
28. Then click on “Downloads”:
29. You will now see your download here. Click on tv.periscope.android etc:
Beware: you might get this warning. Below I explain how to deal with this:
- Click on “Settings”
- Scroll down until you see this:
- Switch the ‘button’ to green, it should now look like this:
- Now at the bottom of the screen, tap on the arrow on the left to go back to the Downloads area:
- You will probably see this notification again. Now click cancel.
- Again click on the download file:
30. You will now see this. Click Next and then Install:
31. The app is now successfully installed! Click “Open” at the bottom of the screen.
32. Click “Skip” at the top right of the screen:
33. Click “Sign in with Twitter”:
34. Allow Periscope access to your Twitter account, by typing in your Twitter username / email and Password. Click “Authorize app”.
35. Periscope is now fully functional on your computer and you can use it as you would on your phone. Click to select a broadcast you would like to see:
36. Now you can use mouse clicks to give hearts, and your computer keyboard to type comments at the bottom of the screen: